Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Berlin: music ...

So, I have had a lot of time on my hands lately and have therefore been putting it to good use exploring music. It's incredible how many European bands I have never heard of. Well, maybe it's not. I do after all live in Minden. I consider myself fairly musically well rounded, and here I am expanding my horizons. These are the ones that I knew, but didn't really know.

Discovery numero uno: As anyone who knows me can tell you, I am mindly infatuated with Tom Waits. I was familiar with the song Rosy's Arms, however I really never sat down to listen to it carefully. So a few days ago, I rented a French film called Prenom Carmen by Jean-Luc Godard. First off, if you can get your hands on it (it was made in 1983), do it. Secondly, Rosy's Arms plays over a beautiful scene and it caught me off guard as I listened to it. So, when I finished the film, I played it several times. It is painfully beautiful. Even if you aren't a Tom Waits fan, listen to the lyrics.

2: Neil Young. I was a hater. No joke. Couldn't stand him. And then, once again, I actually listened to him. Brilliant. Though The Painter remains my favourite Neil Young song, Ambulance Blues runs a close second. It has obviously taken me years to get past his voice, but it something that grows on you. Never thought I would say that.

Trois: Veedon Fleece & His Band and The Street Choir by Van Morrison. I've always loved Van Morrison. TB Sheets is right up there among my favourite albums ever, but these two albums blew me away. His Band and The Street Choir came out in 1970 and Veedon Fleece in 1974 so both are in his earlier work. I think the one song that stands out the most for me from Veedon Fleece is Linden Arden Stole the Highlights. The story is amazing and only Van Morrison could romanticize something of that gravity.

4: Tracy Chapman baby!! Once again, I've been a Tracy Chapman fan for a long time, but the collection here at the house is phenomenal. She's just epic. There is no other way to descibe her.

5: Classical Music... I've always liked it. But it wasn't until I sat down with Debussy's Collection by Ronan O'Hora. It really is stunning.

So that is the extent of my music review today. Now onto books? Nah. Another day.

Anyways. I am currently organizing my trip to Warsaw. I believe the tickets are to be purchased on Friday. Yay!

3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Bring some Tracy home please! There already is enough Neil here that is for sure.I am preparing myself for the new material. Nothing like good music to soothe the soul.

Love Mom

Oma and Opa said...

Testing

Oma and Opa said...

Isn't it amazing the discoveries one can make when one has excessive time on ones hands? You are not only traveling Europe, you're also on a soul searching tour of yourself. Thanks for the insights, you're finding lots of balances. Most people don't get it, some not at all. Keep being you!! Love, Oma